New COVID-19 booster shots available
As the seasons change and people spend more time indoors, COVID-19 cases are likely to rise. We are strongly encouraging our members to stay up to date with vaccinations — including the new booster shot.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is now recommending people 12 and older get an updated COVID-19 vaccine booster for better protection against the omicron variants. These variants are currently causing most COVID-19 cases in the U.S.
We’ll be administering updated booster shots as supply allows and according to CDC guidance. Supply may be limited in the first few weeks, so we encourage individuals who are at higher risk for COVID-19 complications to get their updated booster as soon as they are eligible. We expect to have enough supply to provide updated boosters to all eligible members soon.
Note: The original Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are no longer authorized as boosters for people 12 and older. We’re reaching out to members who have appointments to make sure they get the updated booster.
Visit kp.org/covidvaccine for more information about how to get the updated booster shot.
Choosing the right COVID-19 test
Kaiser Permanente members can visit kp.org/covidtesting to get the test they need, including no‑cost home antigen tests delivered to their door. A home antigen test can be used in most situations for quick, reliable results and is best for when someone:
- Has symptoms. Retesting is advised after 24 to 48 hours if the first test is negative.
- Has been exposed to a person who tested positive. Testing is advised 5 days after exposure if there are no symptoms.
- Plans to travel, attend a gathering, or spend time with people who are at risk for serious illness.
- Needs to show a negative test result for return to work. Employer policies may vary.
In limited situations
PCR tests are recommended when someone is:
- Directed to get this test by a doctor
- Is attending an event or activity that specifically requires a negative PCR test result
What to do with a positive COVID-19 test result
- Stay home and isolate
- Share results with Kaiser Permanente by completing an e-visit on kp.org or our mobile app
- End isolation after 5 full days if symptoms are improving and there’s been no fever for 24 hours
- Wear a well-fitting mask around others
- Avoid travel for 10 full days
- Follow public health and employer recommendations before returning to normal activity
Have more COVID-19 testing questions?
Visit kp.org/covidtests to learn when to test, which test is right for you, how to get a test, and how to find out if your self‑test expiration date has been extended. You’ll also learn what to do with your self-test results. Further CDC guidance can be found at cdc.gov.
More information about the COVID-19 vaccine
Visit kp.org/covidvaccine for more information on how to get the COVID-19 vaccine and other ways to protect yourself. You can also call our KP COVID InfoLine at 1-877-808-9233 (TTY 711) (available in English and Spanish) 24/7 for regular recorded