On May 10, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expanded the emergency use authorization for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to include people 12 to 15. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices, or ACIP, has recommended using the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for people 12 to 15.
Following these guidelines, and review by our own infectious disease specialists and other clinicians, we’re now scheduling COVID-19 vaccine appointments for all individuals 12 and older. Safely expanding vaccine eligibility to this population is another huge step in the fight against COVID-19.
The Pfizer vaccine is the only one currently authorized for children ages 12 to 17. Individuals under 18 must provide parent or legal guardian consent to receive vaccination. They can do this by having a parent, legal guardian, or adult who is authorized to provide that consent accompany them to their appointment, or by having their parent or legal guardian provide that consent over the phone prior to or during their vaccine appointment.
The Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine is safe and it’s available at many of our vaccine clinic locations. Vaccines for people 12 to 17 are available by appointment only.
Here’s how to schedule an appointment:
- Nonmembers 12 to 17: A parent or guardian needs to schedule the appointment by calling 1-800-352-3610 or stopping at the reception desk in one of our medical facilities.
- Members 12 to 17: A parent or guardian needs to schedule the appointment online or by calling 1-800-352-3610. They can also schedule an appointment at the reception desk in one of our medical facilities.
- Emancipated minors 16 and 17 should call 1-800-352-3610 or stop at the reception desk in one of our medical facilities to schedule an appointment.
- Nonmembers 18 and older should complete a short form at kp.org/wa/vaccine/get-registered to make a vaccine appointment. If they don’t have access to a computer, they should call 1-800-352-3610 or stop at the reception desk in one of our medical facilities to schedule an appointment.
- Members 18 and older should sign in to their account to schedule an appointment, or create an account if they don’t already have one. If they don’t have access to a computer, they can call 1-800-352-3610. It’s become easier to get an appointment as more people are vaccinated and we receive more vaccine from the state.