Total health takes teamwork. Our robust welcome experience orients members to Kaiser Permanente and sets them up to enjoy all the benefits of their health plan. With consistent, personalized communication, we help members navigate care and coverage so they can live their healthiest lives.
Getting started with Kaiser Permanente
Shortly after joining Kaiser Permanente, new members receive:
- Member ID cards. We also include a guide that helps members understand the details on their cards and how to find information about receiving care while away from home.
- A welcome book. Information is specific to a member’s location and plan type and includes much of the same content found in the ID card guide. It also informs members how to request their benefit booklet and contact our New Member Welcome Team if they have questions.
- Welcome calls. Our New Member Welcome Team explains how to register for online services, transfer prescriptions, choose a doctor, get or transfer care, and fill out their health profile.
Continued communication and care
As new members begin receiving care, our personalized communications continue:
- Welcome letter from care providers. After a member chooses a Kaiser Permanente care provider, that provider welcomes the member by sharing a little bit about themselves and the clinic where they work.
- Outreach communications through mail, email, and video. Throughout the year, we send personalized preventive care reminders as well as information about accessing care in person and digitally, mail-order pharmacy services, coverage and benefits, online services, and more.
- Monthly e-news. Our monthly newsletters are full of health articles, practical care tips, how to get the most out a health plan, patient stories, and more.
- Office visits. On their first visit to a Kaiser Permanente medical facility, members receive a welcome kit with information about their care and coverage. Our coordinated teams take the time to discuss with members their specific health needs and guide them through care. After appointments, we follow up regularly to ensure members understand next steps in their care journey.
- Renewal toolkit. Members receive a renewal toolkit every year based on their location and plan type. This toolkit highlights the benefits of their plan so they can get the most out of it.